Saturday, June 11, 2011

Robert Plant. A few thoughts.


Well. I don't have any pictures of Robert. But my head is full of stories. That is what this blog is for. Let me spill a detail or two.

I was standing backstage. It was mid-day on Sunday. The stage was set for Robert and his Band of Joy. It was the finest equipment we had seen most of the week. Well. Maybe the new Yamaha mixing console the Doobie Brothers brought was on par...That one took six guys and a lift truck with a boom to load out way after midnight....Even so I was impressed with the quality of the sound equipment on this stage. I was standing next to the mixing board just scanning the back stage area. In comes Robert Plant. Unnoticed. He had come in with sunglasses and a stocking hat covering his hair. He walked right up to me and stood. I am thinking he was three inches from my shoulder. I slowly, very calmly motioned the new stage manager over and said "We need some security...I turned to Robert and said Robert...the green room is about fifteen feet that way." He smiled and walked that way. Soon the back stage was locked-down for the rest of the show.

I have to tell you I never took a picture after the one above. I was asked not to take pictures so I didn't. It is all good. I saw Patti Griffith from 10 feet away with Buddy Miller and Robert Plant smiling as they took the stage. I sat next to Jim Lauderdale on a road case and watched the show from twenty feet away. I watched the encore happen as they all smiled and took in the moment before the final song.

Robert Plant is one of the best vocalists I have seen perform. Period. I have seen so much live music I can't even remember it all.
That is part of the reason for this blog. To try to remember the years and the stories. What I will tell you is Robert has the history, he has some special charisma that few have, and his vocal talent is very special. I am ready for another Robert Plant show!

That is all from Merlefest. I have been so busy it took almost a month to record all of this on my blog. But I have a JD Souther show in less than a day! Onward!

Oh...finally. My favorite moment. "Ramble On." I love the song but afterwards Robert asked from the stage "Can you FEEL IT?"
I was standing in front of the stage at this point having just watched some people my age sway in the crowd. I smiled real wide and I said out loud "Damn Right I did." I think a tear rolled down my face.

See you down the road my friends.


Leaves are fallin' all around, time I was on my way
Thanks to you, I'm much obliged for such a pleasant stay
but now it's time for me to go, the autumn moon lights my way
for now I smell the rain, and with it, pain
and it's headed my way
Aw, sometimes I grow so tired
but I know I've got one thing I got to do

A-ramble on, and now's the time, the time is now
Sing my song, I'm goin' 'round the world, I gotta find my girl
On my way, I've been this way ten years to the day
Ramble on, gotta find the queen of all my dreams