Sunday, March 15, 2009

Party in the Bar...


Joe Bennett and Paul Roush jamming in the bar at our home base, the Island House.

http://www.islandhousehotel.com/
http://www.headpirate.net/
http://www.phinsband.com/

This whole thing started upstairs in Room 201 where a bunch of the Lunch Money Punks were having a major party including a cowbell, crazy sunglasses, bowling pins and an active bowling game going in the floor, some very loud music erupting from the ipod boom box, on and on. I think the only thing missing was a chain saw and a strobe light. I will have to remember to put that in my bag next time. Did I mention it was very LOUD?
Anyway, Joe Bennett was in the room with us having a blast and I started asking him whether he was working on any new material. I told him he must crank out another cd as he is over due. He said "Well I am working on a couple of things." So then I say "Well can we hear them?" So this went back and forth for a few minutes. We had another drink and I knocked down another set of bowling pins in the bathroom all the way back from the balcony. Finally I ask again, "Joe let's hear the new stuff. In fact let's go get the guitar and go to the bar." Suddenly his eyes lit up and he said 'let's do it." So he and I went to the car to get the guitar. As we entered the bar the rest of the gang filtered in and Paul Roush was already there. I opened the case, handed Joe the guitar and said "Let's hear the new stuff." And he started. Before long he was playing several new numbers and went right into requests. In a blur of a memory I remember a gang of us singing the Rolling Stones "Happy" at the top of our lungs. Ninety minutes later the bartender was running us out so he could close. So goes another very cool night on the coast of Alabama.

Never got a flash out of cocktails,
When I got some flesh off the bone.
Never got a lift out of lear jets,
When I can fly way back home.

I need a love to keep me happy,
I need a love to keep me happy.
Baby, baby keep me happy.
Baby, baby keep me happy

Keith Richards 1972