Saturday, March 14, 2009

John Brown and his Telescope in New Orleans.


As I made my way into New Orleans I stopped in Metairie to have dinner with my high school friend Debbie and her family. We had some wonderful seafood at the Galley. The food in this town is so off the meter I can not describe it. Let's just say gourmet Cajun meets fresh seafood. Outstanding!

After dinner I headed over to my hotel in the French Quarter where I quickly made my way over to Decatur Street. It was already dark and I wanted to go up to the Cafe du Monde http://www.cafedumonde.com/ to get a view of the sky through a telescope that I knew would be on the sidewalk as it has for thirty-something years. I was not disappointed. John Brown is sort of a fixture on Decatur Street. You can go read the details on his web site. http://www.sidewalkastronomy.com/#top There is nothing like a nice warm evening in New Orleans after having left 14 degree weather and snow in North Carolina. To get to see the rings of Saturn though a telescope in New Orleans makes me feel fortunate to live in a time where technology can transport me hundreds of miles in a few minutes and I can stand safely on the ground to see a view of a distant planet. Very cool.