Friday, February 13, 2009

JD Souther!!! One word: awesome.


JD Souther is one amazing songwriter. During the early part of the set he played his classic "You're Only Lonely." I could really hear the Roy Orbison influence and all I could think of was Roy's "Black and White Night" video where JD joined all kinds of stars singing and playing sans color. Everyone should watch that video. It is fabulous.
Later as I listened to JD talk about writing songs in the middle of the night with Don Henley you could almost hear that Henley tone in JD's voice. Nice.
When JD played "New Kid in Town" I was taken back to a time when that song came out. The Eagles hit so big with that song it was over-played and toasted on FM. Last night it was magic to hear the author sing it. What a nice song.I caught myself singing all the lines and soon he had the whole audience taking the lead on the vocals. It was a moment.
I picked up the first new JD Souther cd in 25 years "If the World Was You" last night and I already have a favorite on that disc. "Journey Down the Nile." You can listen to a sample currently at this link: http://www.jdsouther.net/?id=15264 JD told the story of being in Cuba in 1998 during the same time as Ry Cooder was working on the Buena Vista Social Club recordings. I forgot to mention they are friends too. The Cuban influence really comes out in this song. And the story as an introduction to his performance made it all the better for me.
At this point I should interject a thought. JD has released this album in 180 gram audiophile vinyl. He mentioned that last night. He said "I love vinyl. Jackson just released his album in vinyl. John Hiatt released his too. It is cool that vinyl is back." I thought... he just called Jackson Browne by his first name. And then I remembered this is the guy who once shared an apartment with the guy who is the leader of the Eagles. Glenn Frey. Their downstairs neighbor was one Jackson Browne. Man. Very cool. I am living now. Sometimes it is nice to share a room with musicians you have followed for most of your life and listen to their stories.
"Faithless Love" the song he wrote for Linda Ronstadt's "Heart Like a Wheel" album came along and that one took me down memory lane. I think it has been years since I heard that song.
One song that stands out from last night was "How Long." The song recently recorded by the Eagles. JD mentioned that this was one of the few Eagles songs where he was not a co-author, i.e. it payed very well for him. And the song was awesome. The Eagles harmonies on this song are awesome. I listened to that whole double disc set this morning but JD's version last night was right up there because I was four feet from him listening live to a living-breathing-song-writing-legend. And it was awesome. I am out of words to describe this show. Please don't count how many times I said "awesome" describing this evening. I ran out of words to express how special the evening was. Not just the music, it was an experience. Sometimes words cannot describe things. It was just a feeling.
I can tell you I heard the couple behind me whisper "this is the best show I have ever been too." All I can say is I will road-trip to see this guy perform with a band. And I hope it is real soon. See you there. See 'ya down the road.