Thursday, June 16, 2011

JD Souther!


JD Souther. Photo DSP 2011 Andrew Talbert.

My story. I arrived at the Arts Center Sunday night with a couple of tickets in my pocket all alone. Boy that was a loss for someone. I had been here before. I knew this would be a special show. I had been very busy lately with so many things happening. I hadn't slept much after travel to Key West and my daughter's graduation from high school the day before. I had harvested forty pounds of honey earlier in the day in the Carolina Summer heat. I knew I would be two hours from home when the show ended and I had to get to work at 6:00 the next morning. I really didn't care. That is what coffee was invented for. I knew I would love this show. I did. I really did.

I made a couple of new friends in the general admission line. I usually do. That is part of what I like about concerts, just meeting people and sharing experiences. After the show I talked to Chris for a while and sat down with JD. We talked about mostly the Canadian Grand Prix race earlier in the day. This was a continuation of the conversation I had the last time we talked. I should have recorded some sound bites, my digital recorder was in my pocket, but honestly I just sat there and enjoyed it all. That is life. Enjoying the moment. I have learned that at my age. You should get that from my blog. Enjoy the moments, life comes at you fast.

I will end this posting session by saying I would go see this show again right now. I love the songs and this artist. He has written so many cool songs. I now have the just released "Natural History" cd. It is a masterpiece with so many awesome players, most of them I have been standing next to the last twelve months or so. You can see that on the blog if you research the artist list. This cd is a "must have." You can have my word on that.

http://www.jdsoutherstore.net/store/


Here is a few lyrics from my favorite song from the night. In the meantime I have my traveling shoes on. I'll see you down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgefLta3bqo&feature=related

Out in the shiny night, the rain
was softly falling
The tracks that ran down the boulevard had
all been washed away

Out of the silver light, the past came softly calling
And I remember the times we spent
inside the Sad Cafe

Oh, it seemed like a holy place,
protected by amazing grace
And we would sing right out loud, the
things we could not say
We thought we could change this world
with words like "love" and "freedom"
We were part of the lonely crowd
Inside the Sad Cafe

Oh, expecting to fly,
we would meet on that beautiful shore in the
sweet by and by

Some of their dreams came true,

some just passed away
And some of the stayed behind
inside the Sad Cafe.