Friday, September 12, 2008

An Old Story....


Back in the late 1960's my grandfather John, the one I took my first name from, and I were having a conversation on a bench in his backyard, right here in Eden, North Carolina. As I recall it was a sunny Summer day, the fescue grass was bright green, and the apple trees were heavy with the Summer crop. I can still smell the damson tree in bloom just a few feet away. My grandfather had just told me about his favorite President..Ike, yeah you know him...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_D._Eisenhower

When he finished his story he reached into his striped overalls. Yes he was wearing the precursor to the modern day textile worker garb. When his hand came out there was this pin in his hand. He gave it to me and I have had it since that sunny day so long ago.