Saturday, August 30, 2008

Another Day Another Magazine....


As I was sipping my morning caffeine and thinking of my chores for the day I decided to check my email down in the office. First on my list was a trip to the recycle bin downtown. I had spent the last day going through a stack of magazines to weed the pile down some. Maybe I should say "piles." I read way too much... if there is such a thing. I get way too many free periodicals. I also subscribe to a multitude of mainstream and obscure rags to keep my brain up to date on the latest gadgets and late-breaking news on all kinds of varied topics.
Given it is Labor Day weekend I thought I would organize my office and get ready for a long upcoming cold spell. The back of the Land Cruiser was piled with various versions of Jessica Alba and electric guitars staring back at me. Here's hoping I read all the fine print. These jewels are headed for another round of printing after my ride is over.
Back at the computer, Outlook has finished it's chore of retrieving a hundred or so messages and spam. In my music mail inbox I see a message from Tallgirl.com. "Marshall" I think to myself. I wonder what she is up to. In seconds I find out as I click the email. http://www.tallgirl.com/

New gig!
I am now a contrubuting editor for Garden & Gun magazine!
I know, weird name, but you might want to check it out.
It's sort of a cross between Oxford American, Southern Living and Field & Stream.

In the current issue, I interview rising country star Miranda Lambert.
If you haven't heard of Miranda, think: a young Dolly Parton fronting Lynyrd Skynyrd.
The cover photograph of Miranda was shot in my yard here in Nashville; the interiors were shot in my house.
It's a beautiful magazine. Even the paper feels good.

Click here to read my articles -- Minton Sparks, my obsession with Southern coaches, crazy relatives... it's all here!

To subscribe to Garden & Gun, call 1-800-800-8336


Uh oh...just what I need, another magazine. Before I click the magic link I say to myself...Southerer,gardener,guns....hmm...should I really look at this? Then I click the link as my brief low-end will-power breaks.

http://gardenandgun.com/stories/search.html?words=MArshall+Chapman

Bear Bryant is the first thing I see. I am in trouble. If there is any ball sport I love it is SEC football. And of course Marshall is an awesome writer so I am glued to the article. Then I click the link to the magazine. http://gardenandgun.com/magazine/ Oh no..cypress trees and a Native kayak. Yes I am a canoe and kayak nut. This model is made in Greensboro which is just down the road from here. Not only do I know the guy who designed the boat but also the guy who owns most of the company...Andy Zimmerman. http://www.shopgetoutdoors.com/ He sold me my last kayak paddle at his store in Greensboro. http://www.heritagekayaks.com/ What a small world this is.

After the Bo Didley article I see another familiar author. Jimmy Buffett.
http://gardenandgun.com/stories/features/who_do_you_love-150#1


http://www.margaritaville.com/index.php?page=videos


I walked 47 miles of barbed wire,
Used a cobra snake for a neck tie.
Got a brand new house on the roadside,
Made out of rattlesnake hide.
I got a brand new chimney made on top,
Made out of human skulls.
Now come on darling let's take a little walk, tell me,
Who do you love,
Who do you love, Who do you love, Who do you love.

OK I will stop right there. Looks like my magazine pile will be growing at a faster geometric rate. Off to the recycling center...