Friday, August 05, 2011

"Shuffle Diplomacy Tour 2011"


http://www.steelydan.com/
http://walterbecker.com/

Walter Becker. Well. This is fifty percent of Steely Dan. Yeah I took three pictures of Walter last night, this is one of them. Even though these two partners hire the best people to play on their albums and tours I still credit the officers at the head of this business deal with all the glory. They are the heart and soul of the music. The band, while sonically perfect are only there because these guys create the music. So I salute them both. Walter and Donald.

In this picture Walter was giving his extremely cool rap before "Hey Nineteen." This song comes from the "Gaucho" album. I had a poster of this album cover in my house for a long time. I wish I still had it.

"Hey Nineteen" was a huge hit. Even now Walter reminds us of the wonderful decade of the 1970's when so much music was happening. There was always a special night when...The Cuervo Gold, The fine Colombian. Make tonight a wonderful thing.

I will end these thoughts with my recollection of the entire show from start to finsh. The band seems very "On" last night. They were very tight and the sound was pristine as it always is at a Dan show. I always wear earplugs at live music shows to dampen the db level to a safe spot. Last night I took them out. I rarely do that. This was probably one of the best Steely Dan shows I have seen. I just wanted to soak up every morsel of sound from that stage.

There is only so much time to tell a Steely Dan story. I have so many more. Go see this band live. They are awesome.

Remember sleep is over-rated and life is short. Go see live music now!

Until next time. I'll see you. Down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzfwtX2kgOA

Way back when in 67
I was the dandy
Of Gamma Chi
Sweet things from Boston
So young and willing
Moved down to Scarsdale
And where the hell am I

Hey Nineteen
No we can't dance together
No we can't talk at all
Please take me along
When you slide on down

Hey Nineteen
That's 'Retha Franklin
She don't remember the Queen of Soul
It's hard times befallen
The sole survivors
She thinks I'm crazy
But I'm just growing old

Hey Nineteen
No we got nothing in common
No we can't talk at all
Please take me along
When you slide on down

The Cuervo Gold
The fine Colombian
Make tonight a wonderful thing
We can't dance together
No we can't talk at all