Friday, June 12, 2009

Steely Dan Leaves the Stage...



Click on the photo if you want more detail....

The show is over. After two hours and twenty songs non-stop Walter and Donald walk off the stage. The band plays the final vamp and it is done. Wow what a night. I need to go find some tickets for one of those New York shows.....

Before I go on I have to share a story from last week while I was hanging out with Robbin Thompson. There is more on Robbin in my blog from last week. I asked Robbin if he was going to be around for the Steely Dan show this week. No...He was booked up surfing in Nicaragua (rough life)

Anyway he was telling me a story of being in a studio with Gary Katz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Katz and at the same time Donald Fagen was right beside him playing pinball on some game machines in the studio. He stopped Donald and said " Man that was some album you all just made. I have questions." (He was talking about "Royal Scam") Donald stopped and said "OK what?" What does that song "Kid Charlemagne" mean? And of course he told the story. I won't recite it here but this link does a good job: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_Charlemagne

I thought that was a very cool story. The title track "Royal Scam?" Well according to Robbin via Donald that was the deal they made with the record company to record in the Caribbean...go check those lyrics...anyway...here's to the Kid:

While the music played you worked by candlelight
Those San Francisco nights
You were the best in town
Just by chance you crossed the diamond with the pearl
You turned it on the world
That's when you turned the world around...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylr2D4Pwn58