Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Huguenots last night in Chapel Hill !!


http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic On a very cold Friday night in Chapel Hill, North Carolina the Huguenots hit the stage to open the show for The Explorers Club. I wasn't sure what to expect from these guys but I thought they were dressed very cool and they were sporting some very nice Rickenbacker guitars. http://www.rickenbacker.com/ After they started and the girls from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill (which was a stones throw from this place) hit the floor dancing I knew this was going to be a good night.
It was already a great night. Somehow I had managed a parking place right on the street in front of the Local 506 http://www.local506.com/
which was a miracle given the amount of traffic on Franklin Street. I had just found a really nice used book and music store, "Nice Price Books" around the corner. I scored some awesome 1960's and 1970's vinyl (let's don't talk about my vinyl addiction right now) and proceed to heed the advice of the nice lady running the store about where we should eat dinner. After stepping across the street My friend and I enjoyed some fabulous fresh fish tacos and salsa at Carburritos. Next was the Carolina Brewery. http://www.carolinabrewery.com/ Only a block away from the Local 506, it was nice to kill a few minutes prior to the door opening at the club to sample a pint and take in the college crowd doing what college crowds all do. Did I mention that this is Tar Heel central? You already knew that..

Back to the music. Go check out the Huguenots, they are a really cool band. They switch all the guitars around. They change the lead vocals. They make you feel like you have transported yourself back to the 1960's. Remember you have to be transported as "if you remember the 1960's then you really weren't there."
I kept hearing bits of The Beatle's, the Kinks, you name it. At one point I heard some drumming and I thought the Dave Clark Five were hitting the stage! As for the four Huguenots, I enjoyed hearing them and I left with a cd. Nice.