Thursday, December 25, 2008

Johnny Winter at the Xmas Jam.


Johnny Winter on stage in Asheville. Warren introduced him as one of his guitar heros. I have been following his music for most of my life. http://www.johnnywinter.net/welcome/
Johnny's set opened with his tightly-knit band cranking out some instrumental licks. It was the classic blues introduction to allow the proper time for the star to appear. As Johnny walked out we all stood and thundered our approval. He walked very quickly to the stage and never said a word. He grabbed his guitar and tore into a blaze of guitar work. As I watched him play I thought of the times I have seen him in person - see my post from October 2004 , once even shaking his hand and helping him to his car after a show and I am thinking how cool it is to be seeing him all these years later. I can remember being in the fifth grade in Meridian, Mississippi listening to Johnny and Edgar on their albums. That was a few days ago.

Johnny's hands are perfect for the fretboard and he literally seems to just float through songs never even showing any effort to play anything. He never opens his eyes as he plays it seems but he is very much connected to what is happening.
As Johnny played his last song and walked off to the side of the stage shaking hands with some fans the crowd stood again and shook the room begging him for one more song. He came back and once again he let it roll...I never tire of seeing legends like this perform. Go Johnny Go.