Sunday, August 12, 2007

Evolution.


Evolution.
That was the word that kept coming to mind as I stood in the Summer heat at Walnut Creek last night. From the photo I just took a moment ago you can see my old Eat a Peach t shirt from 1975. (click on the image and check that date out) A medium. My daughter wore this shirt to the show with me last night. Now she actually is a small size and just a few weeks from being fifteen years old. She doesn't like having her picture taken although she is a beautiful girl.
As we walked through the crowd last night people kept asking me and my daughter about the shirt. They could tell it was something very different. The guy at the "Hittin' the Note" booth really liked it. "Old School" he called it. Funny that is what this 25 year-old manager told me the other day when he overheard me talking about the show I was going too..."Allman Brothers, Man that's some old school stuff" Funny at my age I think old school is Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf. Evolution.
Last night I stood in the 11th row and watched Mofro and then The Drive by Truckers perform. I don't have too much to say about them. Mofro was cool and there were some people grooving to them. They seem to be up and coming. The Drive by Truckers came out to a crowd roar and seemed to have a sizable fan base. They sounded pretty good but I have a couple of comments. First, don't come out to a crowd of 25,000 with a gold top Les Paul out of tune. Worse yet don't play an entire song out of tune. I won't mention any names. Live and learn. And it would be cool if you could leave the cigarettes and Jack Daniels off the stage. If you want me to pay big bucks to see you as a main liner, I want you to be professional. That used to be cool when concert tickets were 8 bucks, not now. Evolution. I don't drink or smoke at work, why should you? Sorry just a mini rant.
Back to evolution.
Last night the Allman Brothers absolutely thrilled the pants off me. This after I nearly left my pants at the entrance. (See other story below...heheh)
I have seen iterations of this band for four decades now. The one on stage last night is the one that knows how to play. They play the songs the way the best versions of those songs exist in the recorded genre and they know how to play in the moment. Don't get me wrong I love to hear all the other previous brothers play, you couldn't be in the band if you weren't way above the rest, I just think Warren and Derek Trucks really get it. No BS. If you have time go to this link and listen to this NPR interview with Derek from 2003. I like it so much I have it on cd. It will get you in the grove with what I am talking about. Derek knows how to play like Derek, Dickey, and Duane. He is the man. And Warren, well you know, he is just damn good.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1418885

A great interview from Ashley Kahn and NPR. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4847621
I had a chance to interview Derek once in Charlotte before a show. His bus was in front of the Visualite Theater downtown. I was on the cell phone with his manager Blake and talking about when to meet him. Turns out, Susan, his wife and the young kids were on the bus. One of them was sick and it wasn't a good time. No worries...maybe another day. He has his priorities right.

Listen to the end of the NPR interview. "Music is a journey and the journey is endless," That's how jazz visionary Sun Ra once put it. Today when so much music comes across like short day trips, Derek Truck's journey is unexpectedly far-reaching."
What great writing. Nice job...NPR rocks.

Evolution.
I saw the young Allmans and now I see them years later on stage. They were masters at a young age. And so are the young players on that stage. I saw Derek play 10 years ago in a small venue. I had heard the stories and made time to go see for myself if he was the real deal. He was and is. I knew he was special then but he is a monster now. He is on the level with the best players on the globe. This guy has a PHD in guitar and hasn't even broke the age of thirty. Better yet he is down to earth and leads a normal life outside to the constant work of life on the road. This guy is a hero of mine. He needs to be on the cover of People magazine instead of all those people I won't mention that stay in trouble all the time. Cancel that, he doesn't need that kind of attention, he just needs to play guitar.
The drummers, they were sounding great. I really miss the young Jaimoe. He was on stage last night playing through the pain of his back trouble. And yes that was cool but I could tell he can't play like he would like to. Like he used to. But my memory of the old days filled in the gaps and I was damn glad he was sitting on the stage. He is a brother to the end.
Butch is much older now but I noticed Marc gave him some rest periods. Even so he was awesome. I kept thinking about Charlie Watts last night watching these guys play. It is amazing to see these guys play a set at their age like they do. My hat is off to them.
Gregg. He looked a bit older but sounded good. He is a real Southern gentleman in person. And sort of like the shepard on stage. He just plays and watches all the guys to his left play.
After all of the shows I have seen I have to say the one last night was the second best. It would have been the best but the one I saw at the New Orleans Superdome back in the 1970s was my first and it was so thrilling nothing will ever top the experience. Of course sitting next to the Hell's Angels in 1978 at Duke was a close second for memories.
As I watched the background colored video reminiscent of the Fillmore days I saw this scene that reminded me of the 1960's. It sort of reminded me of a primordial, sort of organic thought. I looked at my daughter standing next to me and I thought. Evolution. Circle of life. 'Nuff said.
Thanks to the Allman Brothers Band. You thrilled this old dude again.