Sunday, July 29, 2012

Jackson Browne.



http://www.jacksonbrowne.com

I took this picture the night I headed to the North Carolina Coast. My favorite destination or maybe one of them. Ocean Isle Beach. An afternoon with the Durham Bulls and some good food, then the number one Pollstar venue in the United States, the Durham Performing Arts Center.
I had to pick this show as the one I really wanted to see was a conflict with a recent travel to Mississippi. I was happy to be close to the Jackson Browne action again and see Sara Watkins open the show. I had seen Sara before open with John Prine a bit ago. She was half of the Nickel Creek group and she is very good. Jackson really likes her. I have some really close shots of her signing my cd and smiling to all the people buying her cd. That was very cool.

Jackson was his usual self. He had a set list but he did not stick to it. Before the show started I met a guy two seats from me who had shook Jackson's hand two nights before in Richmond. He ended up relaying four songs to Jackson to play. The whole thing was awesome. One of the songs relayed was "Shakey Town." Jackson said "You want to hear Shakey Town?" His band had no idea as they had not practiced this one...but they are so talented they played it anyway...

I should mention this song was written by Danny Kortchmar. I shook his hand at a somewhat recent Carole King and James Taylor show. He rocks the guitar. Too bad he dropped off as a Facebook friend due to his popularity!

Here is a video link to a guitar version. We had a piano version. It was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW1QmBOqWS0


I've witnessed those one night stands
Must have played in a thousand bands
But I'm just here tonight, tomorrow I'll be gone
Seen folks show their blacker sides
Seen them die just for foolish pride
And those drivers always ask to hear that same old song
That's a big ten-four
From your back door
Just put that hammer down
This young man feels
Those eighteen wheels
That keep turning 'round to take me down to Shaky Town
I've heard all those hard luck tales
From all of you U.S. males
I've heard you tell those lies about the love you've know
And I've followed those highway signs
And I've run down those thin white lines
Like those drivers this old road is all I call my own
That's a big ten-four
From your back door
Just put that hammer down
This young man feels
Those eighteen wheels
That keep turning 'round to take me down to Shaky Town

(c) 1978 KORTCHMAR MUSIC