Saturday, March 05, 2011

The stage....


The stage is set and a documentary movie is playing before the show as I took this picture. Shot in all Super 8 film the film is grainy to say the least. It goes along with the artsy new album produced by T-Bone Burnett who loves low-tech recording. I like it for what this technique is. I get the concept but on the other hand I am a life-long audiophile and I appreciate pure high fidelity stereo sound...Anyway, the hour-long documentary film, "It's About You," chronicles the recording of current album, "No Better Than This," as well as the 2009 tour dates that brought Mellencamp to numerous minor league baseball stadiums around the country.

The film is a cool video and it sort of warms you up for the show. As I talked to some people in the audience about the show they were saying they don't recall ever seeing a movie before a concert. Me either...but I liked it. I was in the front. We all applauded after the movie. It was nervous energy. I think all of us with those tour lanyards on were bursting with the excitement you have when you sense that something fun is getting ready to happen. Yeah we were stoked.