Saturday, March 05, 2011

John Mellencamp on the Telecaster.


All pictures ©2011 Andrew Talbert

I should probably capture my random thoughts on this show so I can remember them down the road. First, this was the third time I have seen this band. The last time was in Indianapolis before a Formula One race. The first time was with John Fogerty. Man that was one great show!

This show was damn good. I was close to the stage and the action never really let up. The show was great because all the "greatest hits" were either changed up or shorted to allow the over two hour time span to traverse some great songs that are deeper in the Mellencamp catalog. The band was stellar as always. I did see Meg Ryan behind the curtain. That was interesting. It sort of reminded me of the time I saw Cher standing behind a curtain watching Gregg Allman play one time long ago in New Orleans. Just a note, I wish all the people chasing this couple would just leave them alone to do their thing. I mean, they are just people...that's all I will say.

Without trying to think up some long words and boring sentences to try to describe a good time I will just say my instincts were right when I decided to go to this show. It was a party down front and I had a blast with a crowd of people I didn't even know.

There were two songs that left an impression on me. One was "Paper in Fire." I have always loved that song. I had never seen it performed live. Let me tell you. That song is "off the meter" live. It was the best up-tempo song of the night even eclipsing "ROCK in the USA" which was the show-ending song. Here is the link to the video shot at the show. Not by me thank you. In fact after the 4:00 mark you can see me shooting photos in the right hand corner. I am the one with the glaring led camera screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxAcjXPIaDI

I should mention the other song was "Longest Days" which comes from the album "Life Death Love and Freedoom." John said as he introduced the song "My grandma lived to be a hundred years old. One day she told me to come over to see her as she probably wouldn't be around much longer. While he was there she said something like "Life is short, even in it's longest days." I fully agree and I always remember that so many times when I get up for a new day. Thanks John Mellencamp.

Until next time, I'll see you... down the road.


All I got here
Is a rear view mirror
Reflections of where I've been
So you tell yourself I'll be back up on top some day
But you know there's nothing waiting up there for you anyway

Nothing lasts forever
And your best efforts don't always pay
Sometimes you get sick
And you don't get better
That's when life is short
Even in its longest days