Thursday, March 29, 2007

Leo Kottke!!!


After being a fan since 1974 I finally got to see Leo Kottke http://www.leokottke.com/cgi-bin/ontour/leotour.cgi last night. Finally. I remember talking about Leo with all my pals in the early 1970's as he was a great even then. Last night Leo "the master" stepped on stage with two Taylor guitars in hand. There was one mike stand and no chair. I was on the edge of the stage and the edge of my seat. Without saying a word, he launched into a song like only he can. There is no one who can play like he can. He really has a wonderful style and complete mastery of the guitar.
This show was almost surreal to me. Leo smoked the stings for two songs and then said "Uh" He followed that with a smile and said "That is a hell of a thing to say to start a set." He started playing again as he laughed to himself. I knew this was the beginning of a special night.
The crowd was absolutely wonderful. There was not a single request and you could have heard a pin drop while he was playing. This is typical of this crowd who show up for shows at the Arts Center http://www.artscenterlive.org/ in Carrboro. Fabulous I say. Fabulous.