Sunday, June 11, 2006

Billy Preston. Always a Crowd Favorite


Billy Preston. http://www.billypreston.net/ I was really sorry to hear of Billy's passing this week. I have been a fan of the man since I was a kid. I remember as a really young child living in Meridian, Mississippi I earned some cash doing a few chores in the yard and walked over to the local theatre to catch the 'Concert for Bagladesh." That was my first time to see him play and realize who he was. Over time I have seen him live with the likes of Eric Clapton and the Rolling Stones. He was a very special musician. No one could play like that. He will be missed but fortunately we have the music and the video to remind us of his special talent. Before I leave this story, a couple of memories come to mind of two separate shows. I can hear in my mind EC calling out Billy on the stage in his English accent as he looked at him from the center of the stage to lead the next solo "Billy !!!" Another is a band introduction from a Stones show some time ago, believe me I have seen a bunch of Stones shows so if you tried to pin me down on which one I would never get there.... but I can remember as plain a day Mick Jagger saying and I wish I could relate this to you vocally "Mr. Billay Presston" Billy was a crowd favorite and he always got huge amounts of ovations from the crowd. Thanks for the music Billy. Posted by Picasa