Sunday, June 11, 2006

JImmy Buffett in Charlotte June 4, 2006


Jimmy Buffett on stage in Charlotte, North Carolina June 4th. (Picture by Marty McGraw - yes I left my camera in my Land Crusier) Jimmy took the microphone for "Bank of Bad Habits." I thought this was a very cool set list, probably the best one in a long time, just my perspective mind you. My highlight for the night was Jake Shimabukuro doing the introduction for "Desperation Samba" http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com/home.php and the final song "Nautical Wheelers" This was my 63rd Buffett show and I have never heard Jimmy sing that tune live....or did he do it in Key West one night? Hmmm....I'll have to check. All in all a great show. I did miss the horns and I will always miss Fingers Taylor. Fingers puts the zing into many of Jimmy's songs and he needs to get back on the road with JB!! In fact, as I write this I am listening to a cut from the Cincinnati show the other night. Fingers joined Jimmy on stage to play fins. As I write this I am wiping a tear from my eye. I would have paid big bucks to see Fingers and Jimmy on stage together again.... I already paid big bucks to see him without Fingers! Let's face it, one of my favorite songs "Tampico Trauma" just doesn't have any soul without that harp! There are some nice shots of Fingers on stage with Jimmy at Buffettnews.com in the photo gallery. http://www.buffettnews.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=107&pos=15

The parking lot was a blast. I attended the last show here several years back where they didn't open the lot until 5:00!!! Something changed as the lot opened this year at 12:00. When I arrived at 2:00 the lot was half full and the party was on. I have never seen so many pop up tents! Colorful to say the least. I also ran into my friend from New Orleans, Joe Bennett. He was playing the parking lot on a small stage setup by a whole bunch of parrotheads from Charlotte and South Carolina. They had a bar, swimming pool, and even private Port o Johns!! The food was awesome. They had some wonderful shrimp and even tiny cheeseburgers made from York peppermint patties and vanilla wafers! Great stuff. This concert was my daughter's third JB show and she had a blast. She talked about this one all the way home! Yes, a nice way to start the Summer with a live outdoor JB show. Posted by Picasa