Saturday, January 01, 2011

Steve Miller.


Steve on stage. He has been a favorite of mine since the early 1970's. That was the first time I remember listening to him. About 1974.

It was the early '70's. I remember this friend I had in Mississippi. His name was Jim Walker and we hung out quite a bit always enjoying cool music. Back then you bought vinyl lps or 8-tracks. I was always opposed to 8-tracks due to the "inferior" design. I was a cassette tape fan. Multi-coated, the best Japan could offer. Nakamichi, the best, TDK triple coated, etc... It seemed more civilized...LOL. I was such a purist, they said that about me in the snobby audio stores. OK laugh with me because I really don't take myself serious. But. I am who am I am.

Anyway I bought the vinyl and recorded the cassette tapes. I still have my Nakamichi Dragon deck. One of my fondest recollections is Steve Miller playing "the Joker" on an old 8-track picked up at a 7-11 store at Jim's house. I loved that track. I still do. There is a whole debate about that word "pompetous." I have spent some time looking it up...

Some people call me the space cowboy yeah
Some call me the gangster of love
Some people call me Maurice
Cause' I speak of the pompetous of love

People talk about me baby
Say I'm doin' you wrong, doin' you wrong
But don't you worry baby don't worry
Cause' I'm right here at home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd5ag754UAQ