Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Me & Little Toni.


After the sun set I ended up at one of my pals places. Ms. Charley and Joe from Tennessee. It is always a cool party of sorts. "Left overs for the Leftovers" is what they call it. The food is good, the drinks are cold, and the company is better. This is a picture of me and Little Toni Tarracino. She is one of the children of the famous Key West mayor, saloon keeper, story-teller, you name it. I have seen Captain Tony dancing in the streets and I was in town the day he died in November 2008. It was a moment. I remember I was listening to some music at the Lighthouse and it was announced that he had just died. There were several hundred people there and a silence swept the place for a long time. He was one cool guy. He and Mr. Buffett were pals. Jimmy wrote a song for him and if you visit Captain Tony's Saloon in Key West the lyrics are hand-written on the mens room wall by the author. Of course the wall has a frame on it so you can't touch it but you can see it. It is very cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Tarracino

http://www.capttonyssaloon.com/428greene.html

I went down to Captain Tony's
To get out of the heat
I heard a voice call out to me
Son come have a seat
I had to search my memories
As I looked into those eyes
Our lives change like the weather
But a legend never dies

He said I ate the last mango in Paris
Took the last plane out of Saigon
I took the first fast boat to China
And Jimmy there's still so much to be done.