Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Leonard Skinner.



Leonard Skinner, whose enforcement of a 1970's classroom policy against long hair inspired some of his students to name their Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, has died, The Florida Times-Union reported.

You can read that story here:

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2010-09-20/story/leonard-skinner-lynyrd-skynyrd-namesake-dies-77-0

It is strange to live several decades. You see things like bands come to life and slowly fade into history. I can remember the first time I heard "Sweet Home Alabama" on a cassette tape in a car. I was in Greenwood, Mississippi and it was well into the morning hours after a friend's gig I had had just helped to load out. The song was new and the band was unknown at this time. I think I have told this story on my blog before. But I always love a good story whether I am telling it or hearing it.
If you want, you can go back in the archives and look for the part about how I was not far from the plane crash site that took many of the band's lives so many years ago.
Enough of that, I am not sad about getting older, in fact I am glad I live in an interesting time and have some cool stories to share. Thanks Leonard.

Sweet home Alabama
Where the skies are so blue
Sweet Home Alabama
Lord, I'm coming home to you
Here I come Alabama