Sunday, June 08, 2008

The Year of Still Here.


In the year of the "Still Here Tour" I thought I would bring out a button I have from a Carowinds show in 1981. Other than all my vinyl records, It is one of the coolest collectibles I still have from the old daze.
A quick story. I bought this button during the Coconut Telegraph tour at a show where I took a bottle, a whole fifth actually, of rum into Carowinds down the steep walkway to the aluminum bench seats in front of the stage. The entrance was lined with about 100 of Charlotte's finest standing shoulder to shoulder to prevent any trouble from the crowd. It seems the Buffett following had already gained a reputation as a big party crowd. At this was before parrot heads even existed. Anyway, the bottle slipped a bit but I made it in. A whole bottle in my short pants and this was long before the days of cargo shorts! I swear there was a female cop who smiled at me as I strolled with my hands in my pockets! As I recall that show was very crowded and very loud. Everyone stood on the benches the whole show and the party was going on down on the asphalt below! Yes that was a different day. Buffett shows for less than 10 bucks! And they were great!

At this point I have been to seventy-eight Jimmy Buffett shows starting back in the 1970's. That's what happens when you do multiple shows at Carowinds and three in a row in Raleigh some years. I'm still here. 'Nuff said.

Not too much to report from the Raleigh show last night. It was hot, very hot, and the non-core set list was different for sure. I really enjoyed "Miss You so Badly" and "Coast of Carolina." Sonny Landreth and his band took the stage for two songs and really rocked! Sonny is the man! Another year, another t-shirt....